Sunday, February 24, 2008

1 year and 4 months


The man and I have been in a relationship for 16 months now. That's a long time! It's the longest continuous relationship we have both ever been in and I have to say it's one of the coolest. I know compared to my grandparents who have been married for almost 60 years it looks like a micro-machine next to a semi, but when it comes to a committed serious relationship, I'd say this is a pretty good start.

There is definitely a different feeling to the relationship than there was a year ago. I wouldn't say the honeymoon stage is over because I still get just as excited to see him after any length of absence and I still melt in his arms when he pulls me close and kisses my cheek. The difference is now when I look into his eyes I know who I am looking at. I know his strengths, I know his weaknesses, and I know he knows mine. As scary as it is in the early stages of a relationship to reveal your true colors and let the person see your faults, I think it is also what draws you closer and makes your emotional/spiritual connection much more intimate.

Trust also plays a giant role in a healthy relationship. I love that about my man. I know I can trust him with anything, I know I can believe what he tells me and I trust his abilities and where he is headed in life.

While I'm on a role with bragging about the man, I just have to say that there are few men out there like him. He is amazing to begin with but he's not afraid of improvement or learning. God knows we can all improve (me especially) but a lot of people don't like to admit it. The man is so good about being open to improving our relationship and making it the healthiest it can be. He listens when I vent about something and doesn't make up excuses. The best part about these past 16 months is that our relationship has only been improving. While some couples allow issues to eat away at their friendship, we have faced ours head on and with God's help we have been overcoming them one by one.

I'm really lucky to have this guy. He's lucky to have me too. :) So we make a good match. I can't imagine what things will be like in another 16 months but that's part of the excitement. I'll let you know when we get there.

No comments: