Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I don't understand yet


"I dreamed about going to the beach with my wife like we used to." he said. The nurse was pulling off the yellow fluid soaked dressing from the largest pressure ulcer I have ever seen. The woman's buttocks were nearly gone and bone was visible amongst the red emaciated tissue and serous fluid oozing from the wound. Being a paraplegic, she couldn't control her bladder. This meant urine was constantly soaking her underwear and giving her an additional rash around the ulcer. She also had a colostomy bag attached to the side of her stomach.

I asked them how they met and both of their eyes lit up as they took turns telling the story of how she used to walk by his desk at work and he would wave at her until one day he asked her to breakfast. They spent their early years together biking, swimming, and fishing at Catalina island.

Now...
He spends his days taking care of her. Changing and dressing her wounds, emptying the poop from her colostomy bag, taking her to doctors appointments.

They have been married 25 years and he still looks at her with love in his eyes.

2 comments:

EMILY STAR said...

it's like one of my biggest fears that i'll someday find myself in a situation like this--so many things stripped away. but then it's also like my greatest hope? like to be so loved....wow. it's powerful. tiffany!!! you are awesome! love emily

Rachel Keele said...

that's why i'm married.